Koumaria Residency 2011 Open Call (CLOSED)
Koumaria 2011 Open Call (29th 2011-. 09th 2011)
Byartist collective Medea Electronique
Deadline June 25th 2011
We invite six artists from the fields of new media (musicians, dancers-performers, video artists, photographers, e.t.c.) to participate in our 10day residency in Greece to create a collective work that will be performed in Athens Greece. We will consider both the quality of the submitted work, and evidence of the willingness to both cooperate across art-forms, and contribute to the collective project.
Since 2009 the artist collective Medea Electronique has organized annually a 10-day experimental artist residency, Koumaria, near Sparta in Greece, focusing on improvisation and new media practices. Avant-garde artists from all over the world, inspired by the Greek natural landscape, come together to create a multicultural and cross-media ‘dialogue’ culminating in a collective presentation in Athens at the end of the residency.
The goal of the residency is the creation of an educational experience for the participants that will inspire and exalt their future work. The cross-cultural dialogues that the residency engenders both create new artistic speculations and smelt older assumptions. Past residents have formed lasting friendships and new artistic partnerships. Medea Electronique, being an eclectic art collective, is interested in people from diverse cultural and artistic backgrounds. For us the residency serves as a model for future creative endeavors.
The residency is held at an organic olive oil farm at the foot of Mount Taigetos in Sparta. The residency, a modern and comfortable house, features dormitory-style bedrooms, large and comfortable common rooms (featuring fireplaces and magnificent views of the surrounding mountains and fields), two primary spaces for project development and practice, terraces, rooftop overlooks, and a large and modern kitchen. The surrounding hills, mountains, villages and the not too distant sea, coupled with a vast expanse of sky, stars, and ever-changing mountain vistas, afford the residents amble space and opportunity for creative work. Meals are taken communally, with an emphasis on fresh and local produce and traditional recipes. In this environment artists not only have the chance to live and work together interacting with the Greek landscape, but also to interchange their experiences on everyday life and culture.
This year, we decided to give the residency a theme. Rising from the core of the multicultural dialogue created each year at Koumaria, as well as the very nature of improvisation we decided to experiment on the meanings of identity and the ways we express it. Emanating from social phenomena such as globalization and cultural imperialism, as well as everyday life events, identity is at the center of many contemporary debates. This razes the question of: What makes us different and what links us? What makes us what we are and what we are not? How easy is it to adopt another identity or not? Who makes us who we are? We expect prospective residents to send some thoughts and ideas concerning possible improvisational projects on this theme.
A chance will be given to present:
- Individual work (approx. 15 minutes of material) in any form
each resident prefers (video, concert, performance, talk).
- A number of collective projects created by the participant artists.
A.In terms of hospitality
1) transportation to Sparta and back
2) housing and food supplies in Sparta
3) Internet connection while in Sparta residency
4) housing in Athens during the presentations
- Rooms, Bathrooms in Sparta are shared
- Cooking and cleaning the house during our stay is collective
- The stay in Athens is arranged in a tidy hostel if other preferences exist, the amount (..) euro can be given to the resident and the booking should be their responsibility.
B. In terms of equipment
1) A Mac Pro with Logic and Final Cut, assorted plugins
2) A 32-channel digital mixing desk, high-end monitoring (8 Channel Diffusion Set UP)
3) A range of studio microphones and sound processors
4) 2 digital recorders (Olympus LS11, Tascam HD2)
- You ought to bring your own equipment/instrumentand computers
We do not provide…
Unfortunately no artist fee is to be given for the presentations/performances or expenses for tickets from the countries of residence to Greece and back.
Paperwork to submit
1) Contact Information
2) A personal statement saying why you want to participate
3) A small sample of your individual work (site, demo, pictures e.t.c)
4) First draft ideas for projects on Identity theme
5) Your C.V.
Please submit all inquires preferable online at
or at (Please only regular Post)
Feidiou 11 Gerakas